JONES Family

JONES Family

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Parenting and teaching life's lessons

Stacy had to work on Saturday, so Shelby and I had a good Mommy/Shelby day. We went downtown to watch the antique car show! Shelby was sooo excited! Till we got there and realized I had read the poster wrong and it was the next day. Nice. I let him get soaking wet in the fountain instead.
I learned that life lessons to kids come out of the most random moments:

Lesson 1
We were walking around so he could dry and there was a group of puppies for sale. One was a Dalmatian, which he adores. There was a couple there playing with the puppies. They were very polite and friendly to Shelby, moving to let the puppy sniff him through the fence. They said good-bye to us and we were on our way. We ran into them later and again they were friendly. The third time the lady said, "No disrespect, but as you can see, we just got out of the shelter. (she pointed to suitcases) We haven't eaten since yesterday and we could really use a meal." I usually say "I'm sorry" and move on, but she looked me in the eyes and said, "Ma'am, I promise it's for food." Shelby heard all of this, so I decided to make it a teaching moment. I had 3 $1 in my wallet that I gave to Shelby and asked him to give it to the lady. He smiled and gave it to her, they thanked us profusely and we were on our way. Shelby wanted to stop and get a pizza by the slice and sit on the tall bar stools by the window. When we were sitting I talked to him about why they needed money and told him that not everyone has money to buy food like us. And that we should always be grateful for the things we have. I also told him they don't have a house. He said, "We have a house! It's a nice one!" and high-fived me. Then he was saddened about them not having food and glad we helped them.
Lesson 2
Shelby and I were playing with a hard bouncy ball that lights up. I showed him how to stand in the hall and throw it so it bounces from side to side. I walked away until he called me, "Mommy, come look!" I rounded the corner and the timing couldn't have been more wrong. It was like slow motion. He threw the ball full force and it smacked me hard right in the right eye. I thought I was blind. I saw stars, it hurt like hell, and I hit the ground crying. And all that little S&!* could say was, "Mommy, you gotta move outta my way!" He was scared, so he just kept repeating it until I caught my breath enough to scream at him to STOP SAYING THAT! He ran and hid under his covers. When I finally dug my contact out from under my eyelid and put on my glasses I went and found him. We talked about how when you hurt someone you don't blame them. You say you're sorry and you ask them if they're okay and you love on them to let them know you feel bad.

PS. No black eye, but tender as all get out.

2 comments:

vsm/whirling dirvish photography said...

Cute story and great lesson. I still give $5 to the guys at the Wharf for their 'green'. It's all about honesty right? LOL.

Jeramy, Terrie, Eli, and Aiden said...

that cracked me up! love it and thanks for sharing!